Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Pure Genius - Chapter 7 - Pages 91-103

Chapter 7 - Getting Started with Social Media

I think the best way to tackle this chapter - let's share!

Who do you follow on Twitter and/or Facebook?  Maybe some of us "Owls" need ideas.

I can tell you, when I first read this book a couple years ago, I tweeted a question to the author, Don Wettrick, and HE ANSWERED ME right away!  I wanted a little clarification on Genius hour in my classroom and he gave me his thoughts and offered his help anytime!  I was amazed!  Social media helps us to gain access to people we thought we may never have contact with.  How powerful to get the thoughts and feelings on a specific topic from the author himself!

Why couldn't we apply that in our classroom?  Elementary classroom - the teacher can tweet a question to an "expert" on a topic the class is researching.  High school - can the students try tweeting an expert?

I love the quote found on page 93:
Even if you aren't completely convinced social media is the way to go, try it.  You don't have to commit for a lifetime.  Don't we try to teach our students this all the time - there's no harm in trying something out.  You never know what you'll think until you give it a try!

Here are a few people that I "follow":
Twitter:
@rickwormeli2 - powerful thoughts on standards based grading
@spencerideas - author and full of Genius Houry ideas
@ToddWhitaker, @Jeff_Zoul, and @casas_jimmy - authors of LOTS of books - one of my favorites being What Connected Educators Do Differently

Facebook:
Clever Classroom
WeAreTeachers
Not So Wimpy Teacher

Anyone have any they could share with the group?

6 comments:

  1. Social media is such a powerful place to learn. Most of the time I use it to just skim for new ideas or refocus. If you get a chance, I highly recommend participating in a Twitter chat. It usually follows a hashtag and occurs a specific time. The moderator will announce questions by labeling them with Q1, Q2, etc. The participants respond with either and A for answer or R for response and label accordingly to the question. This allows teachers to quickly bounce lots of ideas off of each other. It is like being in a room where everyone speaks at the same time, but you can actually hear and understand what is being said. So...tomorrow night is the #inelearn twitter chat. It starts at 9:00 pm Thursday night. Here is the topic: http://inelearnchat.blogspot.com/2017/03/blog-post.html

    People I recommend following:
    @rmbyrne for lots of edtech ideas.
    @rosscoops31 for thoughts on PBL and curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the past I had always just used social media to connect to friends and family. I just recently started using it for educational purposes. I like that I can find topics to show my students or tweet out that actually revolves around math or social media that is actually interesting! Most of my twitter follows are math related but here are ones that I enjoy!

    @StemedCoalition
    @AliceKeeler
    @MicrosoftEducation
    @AlgebraFact
    @STEMGeniousHour
    @edublogs
    @RepublicofMath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably be fun for them to connect with other math classes. I wonder what activities you could have them do to increase collaboration? I wonder if you could have some sort of challenge contest between schools. Not sure what I mean by that. I'm just thinking.

      Delete
  3. Fractus Learning is motivational for me
    Tim Arnold and blended learning is good.
    I want to learn more about google hangouts. I know my students would love to connect with other students about a book we just finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to checking into people to consider following in the educational world, particularly those in the field of ELL. I plan to follow the author of Pure Genius. I'm also interested in looking for educators in el ed who are practicing the Genius Hour.

    ReplyDelete